Roadmap to a Kansas Divorce

     Most divorce cases are settled…eventually.  However, many cases run through at least the initial phases of litigation prior to the parties resolving their issues.   No case is identical, but most cases tend to follow the same general path.  This article hopes to increase your understanding of what to expect during your divorce case, albeit in the most general terms.

Issues In Divorce Cases 

   The purpose of a divorce action is, of course, to terminate the marriage, but this is not usually a issue of contention.  The issues in dispute typically include  1) how to fairly divide the assets and debts of the divorcing parties, 2) each parent's rights with respect to any minor children (child custody and other parenting issues), 3) the amount of child support, if any, that the Court should order a parent to pay the other for support of minor children, and 4) the amount, if any, should a party pay to support to the other for a time after the marriage (i.e., spousal support, commonly referred to as alimony).  

Initial Meeting With Attorney

     First, you meet with your attorney where you will discuss your particular circumstances and what you hope to accomplish.   The attorney will have questions for you and ask that you provide certain documentation (e.g. bank statements, tax returns etc.).  If you have not already, the attorney will probably ask you to complete a questionnaire to insure all pertinent issues are covered.  The attorney will discuss with you the likelihood that your goals can be achieved and the approach(s) the attorney could take to achieve those goals including any risks associated with those approach(es).  


Filing for Divorce and Temporary Orders

    After you have spoken with your attorney and decided to proceed, the actual case starts with one of the spouses filing a petition in a district court of Kansas, and then serving the other spouse with the court papers.   Although not required, at the time of filing, the filing spouse can also ask the Court to issue temporary orders which are, at a minimum, designed to maintain peace and civility between the parties and minor children.  In addition, the filing party can ask the Court for temporary orders of child custody, child support, spousal support (alimony), and temporary possession of property among other things.  The orders will also prevent the parties from wasting or hiding of assets during the case.    The filing party will also need to complete a financial affidavit and worksheets before the judge would consider temporary orders of support. 

Amending Temporary Orders

    If these temporary orders are sought at the time of filing, they are considered without the other spouse's input, or ex parte in legal jargon.  Since the filing spouse is unlikely to act in the interest of the other spouse, it is often an advantage to file before the other spouse does.   Fortunately for the other spouse, by statute, the non-filing spouse has the right to a hearing to vacate or amend the ex parte temporary orders within fourteen days of being served with them.  Still, that spouse would have the burden to show the court why the temporary orders should be changed.   At later points in the case, either party can ask the Court to amend those temporary orders during the case.

Court Ordered Mediation and Parenting Classes

   After the initial hearing, if not before, the parents will typically be ordered to attend mediation in order to encourage agreements on issues.  If the parties have minor children of the marriage, many courts will order that the parties attend a parenting class as well.

Negotiations and Preparing for Trial

   Throughout this period, your attorney is continuing negotiations with your spouse and his or her representative while simultaneously preparing for trial should the negotiations fail.  Because conducting discovery and preparing for trial results in significant legal fees, not to mention aggravation for the parties, both parties have a great incentive to make a good faith effort to resolve all issues prior to trial.  Because of this and the uncertainty of what the judge may order, most do.  However, if the other party won't budge, going to trial is the only way to get a fair result.    


Call Us

(469) 630-2550

405 State Highway 121, Suite A250
Lewisville, TX 75067

Email Us

linkedinicongrey googleplusicongrey twittericongrey facebookicongrey