• Responsive
  • Dedicated
  • Experienced
  • Compassionate
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

Contact Us

Chowins Law Firm 
1011 Surrey Lane 
Bldg 200
Flower Mound, TX 75022
Tel: (469) 630-2550


Family Law: Divorce, Marriage, Children, Elderly

  • Divorce, Separations & Annulments
  • Divorce Settlement Agreements
  • QDRO orders
  • Guardianships of Minors, Elderly & Incapacitated Persons
  • Paternity
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Adoptions
  • Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements 
  • Child Welfare Cases 
  • Grandparent Rights
  • Name Changes 

Guardianship & Probate Administration

  • Probate of Estates and Administration
  • Will Contests
  • Guardianship of Minors and Incapacitated Persons
  • Guardianship Alternatives
  • Guardianship Litigation
  • Small Estate Administration
  • Intestate Succession
  • Independent Administration
  • Muniment of Title Proceedings
  • Court Supervised Administration
  • Estate Tax Returns
  • Claims Against Estate

Wills, Trusts & Estate Planning

  • Estate & Gift Tax Avoidance
  • Business Succession Planning
  • Wealth Preservation
  • Health Care Directives
  • Medical Powers of Attorney
  • Simple and Complex Wills
  • Trust Planning
  • Effective Use of Insurance
  • Planning for Incapacity
  • Charitable Giving & Legacy Planning


Divorce Process in Texas

Divorce Process in Texas

     Most divorce cases are settled…eventually.  However, many cases run through at least the initial phases of litigation prior to the parties resolving their issues.   No case is identical, but most cases tend to follow the same general path.  This article hopes to increase your understanding of what to expect during your divorce case, albeit in the most general terms.  Nonlegal teminology, rather than legaleze used in Texas courts  (e.g., Custody vs. Conservatorship) has been adopted for the reader's convenience.  

Issues In Divorce Cases 

   The purpose of a divorce action is, of course, to terminate the marriage, but this is not usually a issue of contention as most states including Texas have one form of no fault divorce or another.  Simply alleging that the marriage is not salvagable is usually enough to terminate the marriage.   The issues in dispute typically include  1) how to fairly divide the assets and debts of the divorcing parties, 2)

each parent's rights with respect to any minor children (child custody and other parenting issues), 3) the amount of child support, if any, that the court should order a parent to pay the other for support of minor children, and 4) the amount, if any, should a party pay to support to the other for a time after the marriage (i.e., spousal support, commonly referred to as alimony).  

Initial Meeting With Attorney

     First, you meet with your attorney where you will discuss your particular circumstances and what you hope to accomplish.   The attorney will have questions for you and ask that you provide certain documentation (e.g. bank statements, tax returns etc.).  If you have not already, the attorney will probably ask you to complete a questionnaire to make certain all pertinent issues are covered.  The attorney will discuss with you the likelihood that your goals can be achieved and the approach(s) the attorney could take to achieve those goals including any risks associated with those approach(es).   

Filing for Divorce and Temporary Orders

    After you have spoken with your attorney and decided to proceed, the actual case starts with one of the spouses filing a petition in a district court. and then serving the other spouse with the court papers.   Although not required, at the time of filing, the filing spouse can also ask the Court to issue temporary orders which are, at a minimum, designed to maintain peace and civility between the parties and minor children.  Often local court rules will automatically make temporary orders for this purpose.  In addition, the filing party can ask the court for temporary orders relating to child custody, child support, spousal support (alimony), and temporary possession of property among other things.  The orders will also prevent the parties from wasting or hiding of assets during the case.    The filing party will likely need to complete a financial affidavit and worksheets before the judge would consider temporary orders of support. 

Amending Temporary Orders

    If these temporary orders are sought at the time of filing, they are considered without the other spouse's input, or ex parte in legal jargon.  Since the filing spouse is unlikely to act in the interest of the other spouse, it is often an advantage to file before the other spouse does.   Fortunately for the other spouse, the non-filing spouse has the right to seek to vacate or amend the ex parte temporary orders.  Still, that spouse generally would have the burden to show the court why the temporary orders should be changed.   At later points in the case, either party can ask the Court to amend those temporary orders during the case as circumstances change.

Court Ordered Mediation and Parenting Classes

   Courts prefer the parties to reach an agreement as to all matters, but especially those issues pertaining to children.   So, after the initial hearing, if not before, the parents will typically be ordered to attend mediation or some other type of alternative dispute resolution process in order to encourage agreements on issues.  If the parties have minor children of the marriage, many courts will order that the parties attend a parenting class as well.

Negotiations, Discovery, and Preparing for Trial

   Throughout this period, your attorney is continuing negotiations with your spouse and his or her representative while simultaneously preparing for trial should the negotiations fail.  Because conducting discovery and preparing for trial results in significant legal fees, not to mention aggravation for the parties, both parties have a great incentive to make a good faith effort to resolve all issues prior to trial.  Because of this and the uncertainty of what the judge may order, most do reach an agreement prior to trial.  However, if the other party won't budge, going to trial may be the only way to get a fair result.    


Meet the Owner

David W. Chowins

David Chowins

David Chowins is a family law and divorce attorney with over twenty years experience in practice. He established his own law practice in the Fall of 2000 after several years practicing with two of the nation's top law firms.    

"Don't try to be the best lawyer in Texas.  Instead, try to be the best lawyer each day, in each case, for each client.  That way your performance can be measured, learned from, and improved upon.  Trying to be the best lawyer period is simply an aspirational goal that can never be achieved and will do nothing to help one become a better attorney."

David Chowins

David focuses on divorce and family law which includes estate planning, guardianship law, and probate law.  These areas often include litigation of various types including, divorce and child custody cases, probate challenges, guardianship litigiation, among other types of cases.

David also serves as both Attorney Ad Litem and Guardian ad Litem where he is tasked by the court to represent parties that have a stake in the litigation but are not present or to advise the court as to the best interest of those who can not advocate for themselves such as minors, incapacitated persons and others who may not be in a position to advocate for their own best interests.   

Read more

Featured Article

  • Can I Divorce If I Can't Locate My Spouse?

    Yes.   When couples split, one or both of them may not tell the other spouse where they have moved.     Since the other spouse is out of their lives, legally divorcing the other may become less of a priority for both spouses than it should. Sometimes couples wait years to divorce for this simple reason.   However, unless is reconciliation possible, that is probably a mistake.  Some mistakenly believe they need to locate their estranged or missing spouse first.  That is simply not the case. 

    Why divorce if my spouse is no longer around?

    Financial and other problems with remaining married to an estranged spouse

    Apart from the personal reasons for one to seek a divorce (e.g. being able to legally remarry), there are numerous reasons to avoid putting it off.   First, even if the spouse seems long gone, they might appear unexpectedly. When that happens, they often have the same rights

    Read more ...